The Advanced Manufacturing Process Engineer identifies and implements process and equipment modifications and new additions to improve yield, runtime, equipment reliability, equipment capability, and first-pass product quality across multiple production sites. The Advanced Manufacturing Process Engineer must work effectively with all levels of the organization from operators to corporate management to accomplish strategic goals.
Responsible for the transformation of strategic goals related to capacity and machine capability into project plans and then realization.
- Effectively leads all aspects of assigned projects.
- Creates project plans through cooperation with site operations and technical groups to understand new equipment and process requirements, create specifications, and develop validation methods.
- Prepares quote packages and solicits quotes from a variety of vendors for each project.
- Creates capital appropriation requests, including an overall project scope, justification, EHS plan, timeline, and quoted cost summaries.
- Manages issue of project purchase orders and tracks overall project spending to budget.
- Maintains project schedules by monitoring progress, coordinating activities, and resolving potential roadblocks.
- Delivers project proposals and updates to management via both formal weekly project updates and informal project walk-throughs.
- Manages installation, startup, validation, and EHS sign-off of new equipment and processes.
- Investigates, trials, and implements new coating, converting, and automated handling technology and processing methods.
- Identifies, plans, and conducts trials on existing equipment to improve yield, runtime, equipment reliability, equipment capability, and first-pass product quality at multiple production sites.
- Documents and communicates major changes to existing processes at Distribution Center locations - including layouts, process flows, and operating procedures.
- Ensures manufacturing equipment and processes meet safety and regulatory requirements.
- Leads investigation and resolution of major equipment issues related to safety, quality, reliability, run ability, and speed. Frequent travel for equipment troubleshooting may be required.
- Identifies sources of variability and proposes solutions for improved process control.
- Supports investigations of technical related customer claims to by root cause analysis, developing and executing corrective actions to eliminate recurrence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: B.S. Mechanical Engineering, B.S. Chemical Engineering. BS Industrial Engineering with 5+ years of process engineering and/or project management experience in a manufacturing setting, preferably in a converting or coating industry. 10+ years of experience in process engineering and/or project management experience in a coating or converting setting will also be considered in lieu of degree. PMP certification is desired by not required.
- Analytical Problem Solving: Able to use a systematic approach in solving problems through analysis of the problem and evaluation of alternate solutions; use logic, mathematics, lean, six sigma, DOE, or other problem solving tools in data collection, analysis, and generating solutions.
- Initiative: Must be a highly motivated individual willing to be hands-on at the production floor. Individual must have the desire and be willing to learn how to operate equipment, how each piece of equipment works, be able to use tools to troubleshoot equipment alongside maintenance or outside contractors, yet also be able to confidently convey findings, solutions, and provide formal status reports to management.
- Leadership and Team Work: Able to complete projects by facilitating effective teamwork and empowering employees to understand, own, and control the process.
- Goal Setting: Able to define and prioritize realistic, specific goals and objectives.
- Professionalism: Able to maintain professionalism while dealing with frequent change, delays, unexpected events or time demands.
- Commitment to Tasks: Able to start and persist with specific courses of action while exhibiting high motivation and a sense of urgency.
III. Communication Skills
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, with people of various educational and technical backgrounds, both inside and outside the company.
- Ability to use computers to do word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to use drawings, such as AutoCad or similar software, to effectively communicate designs and propose layout changes.
- Ability to create and present PowerPoint proposals to management.
- Ability to utilize Gantt style timelines to communicate and manage project schedules (such as Microsoft Project).
- Ability to use Pivots and other data organization methods to graphically support proposals and justify decisions.
IV. Mathematical / Statistical Skills
Ability to perform various math functions, with emphasis on measurable impact of mathematical calculations.
- Ability to identify and quantify variation in processes – Six Sigma training is a plus, but, not required.
V. Work Environment & Travel Expectations
The Advanced Manufacturing Process Engineer resides in the Columbus, Indiana manufacturing facility. Expected domestic travel of up to 50%. Infrequent international travel may also be required.
- Due to the nature of the position, the engineer will work in manufacturing environments, offices, and remotely during travel.
- A significant amount of time will be spent in manufacturing facilities where hearing, eye and foot protection are mandatory.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Apply online Back to Jobs List
4560 Darrow Road
Stow, Ohio 44224